Same old, Same old God

"Same old, same old God. And I love Him for that."

GOD IS BLESSEDLY CONSISTENT. Whereas I am all over the map some days, up one minute and down the next, whereas my thoughts take a million righthand turns, and I end up tangled in the fencewire, when I sit down and read the Word and worship, there He is again, just as He was. And the sun rises, and the sun sets, day 1.

I feel Him sometimes, looking over my shoulder. I can’t explain this except to say I’ve decided to be more aware of His presence, and in the process, I’ve discovered He’s been this way forever. Faithful. Steadfast. For all those straight-line plans I’ve made yesterday, traveling directly from Point A to Point B, maybe He inserted a curve and a staircase, but the truth is, He’s just like that. What He begins in me, He will bring to completion, unperturbed by the distractions that pull me aside. While I’m looking at the road signs, the faded advertisements, He’s the dotted line in the center of the road headed toward the horizon and a certain ending.

We get lost in the fine print, unsure of what’s being shoved at us, overwhelmed by the enemy’s yapping, and our heartbeat’s rapid pounding. Surely, we’re out on a limb somewhere about to fall into some abyss. Yet, we need only to close our eyes and seek Him, and we’ll find there He is, where He’s been all along. The devil strings us out on a bungee cord and begs us to jump, and we give into the pressure, pushed forward toward some type of disaster, only to blink in our next breath and hear that still, small whisper, “I love you,” and suddenly, all the vapor and smoke fade, in an instant, and there are those walls He’s erected in the fortress He’s become to us. Just like always

Same old, same old God. And I love Him for that. Life gets crazy, but He does not. His Word is still true, always true. His promises are forever and eternal. His mercy and compassion are everlasting. There’s no need to panic ever over anything. He has the ending already written and all the truth and wisdom that’s needed to live a full, healthy, amazing life. We can rely on Him. He’s never too short on promises, never light on goodness and kindness. He’s never holding back His power, nor taken by surprise by what just happened. He’s never one-upped by the devil. He’s not constrained by time or circumstances. His supply never runs out.

He's a day-to-day smile that never ceases, a steady pace always moving forward, a rock we can depend on. When the enemy says we are failing. God says He is more than enough, just lean in and rest upon His promises, commit them to heart and speak them out, and we’ll find courage.

David’s courage to face Goliath was because He knew God would not fail. It didn’t matter how big the giant was, nor how loud he could talk. It didn’t matter how small David was in comparison. The battle was won because HOW BIG IS GOD. How continual and consistent. Covenant-keeping. A covenant is more than a rash promise, made in the heat of indecision. It is a promise sworn in blood, one which cannot be broken. And God had sworn His covenant to Abraham, and David knew Goliath defied not just the army of Israel but the God who stood behind them with His promise of abundance.

Jesus’ Resurrection backs us up. He died to take away our sins, to defeat death, and cleanse us completely from all the damage of sin. But He rose from the dead to give us the fullness of eternal life and His complete salvation. Because He lives, so do we. And the God who would give His own Son to ensure our victory stands behind us, beside us, within us, every minute of today.

This is the most amazing thing to me, every time I turn to Him and He is there. Then the images screaming at me seem not so bad. Where the devil seeks to bring strife and confusion, God’s faithfulness gives me peace. It is that He never changes, which rescues me again and again. When He said He would never leave me or forsake me, He meant that, and I know I can rest on it and never fear any unfaithfulness which may show up in me. Situations happen, day-to-day, unplanned, and we react. It is not our attitude that He is here to clean up our messes, but that He never lets go. He saw the end from the beginning and is true to it. Always bigger than it. And as consistent as that sunrise, which He set into motion. Setting in one place and rising in another.

“Now, may the God of peace and harmony set you apart, making you completely holy. And may your entire being—spirit, soul, and body—be kept completely flawless in the appearing of our Lord Jesus, the Anointed One. The one who calls you by name is trustworthy and will thoroughly complete his work in you.” (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24)

Hands Image by Photo Mix from Pixabay
Background Image by Enrique from Pixabay



----------
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
www.suzannedwilliams.com
www.feelgoodromance.com

Comments