God or the Devil?

"Fear is a huge, ginormous, multi-story lie."

SO THE DEVIL LOOKS YOU IN THE EYE and says, “I want you to die.” The Savior says, “I want you to live. I died so you would live.” Which voice will you listen to?

The doctor says, “You have cancer. You have six months.” What does God say? “And with his stripes we are healed.” (Isaiah 53:5) Which do you believe?

The argument begins. Yes, but I feel bad. Yes, but the doctor’s test said. Yes, but that Scripture was Old Testament. (It’s also New Testament, btw.) Yes, but it’s in King James. So read the Message Bible. Yes, but that’s a “new translation.”

“He used his servant body to carry our sins to the Cross so we could be rid of sin, free to live the right way. His wounds became your healing.” (1 Peter 2:24 Message)

Oh, good grief. When the Bible was translated into English, back before King James, THEY KILLED THE MAN WHO DID IT. So let’s continue this argument. If you really want to be accurate, let’s all read it in Hebrew and Greek. What? Not multi-lingual yet? Truth is, we misread the King James Version all the time and assume what it is talking about. You need a good Hebrew-Greek dictionary.

Not the direct point. Whose report will you believe? And can you stare the enemy in the eye and say, “so what”? This was, by far, the most powerful truth I’ve ever heard preached. “So you’re going to die. So what.” When life was at its darkest for me, I knew Christ in me guaranteed heaven, so I said SO WHAT and lived. I chose God over the devil.

We have nothing to fear, folks. Fear is a huge, ginormous, multi-story lie. I mean, you are standing in a field of the most beautiful landscape, the sun is out, and the sky is blue, but all you can see is a tiny rain cloud over your head. It’s a lie.

When you feel fear, your first thought needs to be, “This is a lie,” and your second, “God’s Word is truth.” Then quote the Word. “For God hath not given [me] the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:5).” And, “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me (Psalm 23:4).” The Bible is rife with verses assuring you of this. But to get to the point where fear doesn’t affect you takes time and meditation. You have to go over it and over it and over it until you know it beyond any doubt, until it’s like your breathing, you just do not fear.

You can’t give me fear. Period. I’ve had many opportunities and here’s what I’ve discovered, those gut-twisting feelings are the enemy trying to get you to swallow the lie. That’s right. He makes your stomach hurt and your hands tingle and your breathing seem hard because then you will accept the lie of fear. Do you know what I do when he does that to me? I laugh.

“For the joy of the LORD is your strength.” (Nehemiah 8:10)
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace.” (Galatians 5:13)
“Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.” (Philippians 4:4)

WHAT? You thought you’d make me afraid, devil? Forget that. Been there, done that, burned the t-shirt, and bought a dozen with Jesus’ name on them. (You think I’m kidding. I’m not.)

Don’t get locked into the report of the enemy, whether it came through your bank, your spouse, or your doctor. Even if it is a well-educated, very trustworthy, wonderful person but they said something which was the devil talking, turn it away. SAY NO.

Jesus faced this with His disciple Peter. He loved Peter. Peter had just had the biggest revelation from the Father that Jesus was Christ, and Jesus made His famous statement, “And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it (Matthew 16:18).” A couple verses later, Peter denies Jesus the right to die on the cross, and Jesus rebukes him, “Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me (Matthew 16:23).” Did Jesus say this to Peter? Not really. Peter, I’m sure was taken aback, but the rebuke was meant for the devil. Peter, however, was the one who spoke it.

We don’t see our words this harsh. It’s okay to complain a little. If we only say a few negative things, it hurts no one. Actually, don’t say them at all. Speak the Word. A minister’s daughter missed some school due to illness, and when he to the school to pick up her assignments, the office needed him to explain her absence. But he wouldn’t say she was sick. He kept saying she was recovering. They couldn’t figure him out. He denied the devil the right to speak through him. And there is the dinner bell.

When the Word says to stand for truth, that is what it means. Don’t open the door to the enemy. EVER. Choose God’s Word. Choose to see your situation from His perspective, and if given an opportunity to say the wrong thing, if you hear the wrong thing, even well-meant, always have the Holy Spirit’s truth on your tongue. That is why He is in you, to help you overcome, minute-by-minute, day-by-day. But most often, He isn’t going to wave a banner in front of you. He shouldn’t have to wave a banner because you’ve spent your time listening and know His voice.

You know truth when you hear it. You recognize death when it’s in front of you and refute it instantly. No, thanks, devil. I will not die, but live and declare the works of the Lord.

“The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.” (Psalms 27:1-3)

“When you go out looking for your old adversaries you won’t find them— Not a trace of your old enemies, not even a memory. That’s right. Because I, your God, have a firm grip on you and I’m not letting go. I’m telling you, ‘Don’t panic. I’m right here to help you.’” (Isaiah 41:12-13 Message)

“In righteousness shalt thou be established: thou shalt be far from oppression; for thou shalt not fear: and from terror; for it shall not come near thee.” (Isaiah 54:14)

READ "NOT TODAY, DEVIL."

Image by Gordon Johnson from Pixabay


----------
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
www.suzannedwilliams.com
www.feelgoodromance.com

Comments