Talk To Jesus

"We are family forever."

I'M BECOMING KNOWN FOR MY TSHIRTS. There’s “Give me Jesus,” “Jesus is my happy place,” and my favorite, "Jesus took naps. Be like Jesus." Truth is, a few years ago I could not stand to wear tshirts. Something about the way they sat on my collarbone drove me nuts. So I decided to get over it, and now, I have one for every day of the week.

I am aware my fashion style now leans toward casual. But, in fact, the sayings all hold meaning to me, and that is why I chose them.

Another personal fav: Spoiler Alert: the tomb is empty.

Jesus is not a tshirt slogan nor a knickknack on the shelf. Nothing wrong with either one, mind you. I own both. But He isn't the name in the song on Sunday. He's not simply a story your grandmother read. Or your pastor. He is on the throne, but He isn't "way up there" and impossible to reach.

Procedure: First, let's dim the lights and assume our prayer posture. Second, if we pray for an hour, minimum, we'll feel a little warmth and then we can begin contact.

Not quite how it goes. Oh, the Holy Spirit is the glory of God, and He does like to appear as wind and tongues of fire. And the Father is the Almighty who created the ground we stand on. Think about that for a moment. But to talk to Jesus, to pray to the Father, through the sweet Holy Spirit does not require some spectacular display.

He can do that. He will do that at times. And He loves when we take the time to be quiet with Him. But Jesus lives in my heart. The Holy Spirit lives in my heart. The Father is right here with me. All I have to do to talk to them is speak up.

“Holy Spirit, I could use some wisdom right now.”
“Papa, I sure need your peace.”
“Bein' honest, God, I'm a little frustrated with my job.”

Or how about, “Hey, Jesus, I love you.” That works too. Our prayers do not always have to be needy. I actually speak to friends and family just because I love them. I think of someone I haven't heard from in a while and send a note to see how they are doing.

Jesus does not need checking up on. He is alive because He loves us so much. The Father adores His children and wants to spend life together for an eternity. He sent His Spirit to be here 24-7, so that when we wake, while we’re going through our day, and when we sleep at night, He is with us, accessible.

We are family forever. Just as my earthly parents love to talk to me, just as I call my aunt to chat, or text with my brother, my heavenly Father and Friend adores hearing from me. The fact He is God and gives His all to me makes it more than I could ever ask for.

“…you have received the ‘Spirit of full acceptance,’ enfolding you into the family of God. And you will never feel orphaned, for as he rises up within us, our spirits join him in saying the words of tender affection, ‘Beloved Father!’ For the Holy Spirit makes God’s fatherhood real to us as he whispers into our innermost being, ‘You are God’s beloved child!’ And since we are his true children, we qualify to share all his treasures, for indeed, we are heirs of God himself. And since we are joined to Christ, we also inherit all that he is and all that he has.” (Romans 8:15-17 TPT)

“And so that we would know for sure that we are his true children, God released the Spirit of Sonship into our hearts—moving us to cry out intimately, ‘My Father! You’re our true Father!’ …we enjoy being God’s very own sons and daughters! And because we’re his, we can access everything our Father has—for we are heirs of God through Jesus, the Messiah!” (Galatians 4:6-7 TPT)


----------
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
www.suzannedwilliams.com
www.feelgoodromance.com

Comments