What To Do With Negative Emotions

Let me state this up front.

God will never leave you defeated and discouraged. Any grief, sorrow, dread, or fear did not come from Him. He chastens, He corrects, as a loving Father, but He does not condemn. (Heb 12:6-7; Rm 8:1) He never EVER wants you to give up.

If I think God hasn't fulfilled His Word, then I need to reevaluate my perception. His Word NEVER fails to do what He's promised. (1Ki 8:56; Is 55:11) He is a REWARDER of those who seek Him. (Heb 11:6) Our success is His delight.

We tend to let our emotions rule and not our faith. Faith is trust that God has your life and circumstances well in hand.

I learned to trust God when my life fell apart in 2007. There was none of "me" left to stand up with and a lot of negative emotions. Trust is like being suspended in midair. There's nothing beneath your feet and nothing overhead. You can no longer rely on yourself at all.

But in that moment of suspension, God is more than able. It doesn't matter what your situation looks like. It only matters what God can do, and remember, He created the world.

Faith in God's care for you gives you incredible confidence in the face of seemingly impossible events. Look at Paul. He was a prisoner on board a ship in the midst of a terrible storm that lasted for two weeks! Everyone around him was lamenting. They expected to die, yet he said, "And now I exhort you to be of good cheer: for there shall be no loss of any man's life among you, but of the ship." (Act 27:22)

He was so confident, he bade them sit down to eat ... DURING THE STORM ... and before long, they were as cheerful as he was. (v36) His confidence changed the mood of those around him.

This is how the church should be, a place of refuge that changes people who might not otherwise believe. Even in a storm. Even in the midst of chaos. Because there, in that place of trust, is our greatest victory.

"Paul said to the centurion and to the soldiers, Except these abide in the ship, ye cannot be saved." (Act 27:31)

Don't climb out of the ship because of your emotions. I've learned that when my mind is upset, when I'm angry, or when I'm afraid, to recognize the emotion and set it aside. I FEEL sad, I FEEL scared, but I TRUST God. He has it all under control, AND I know with 100% certainty that His plan always comes to pass.

Emotions lie to you. Men will lie to you. God does not.

Image by Melanie Tickell from Pixabay

----------
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
www.feelgoodromance.com
www.suzannedwilliams.com

Don't miss this post ----> You Can't Stop The Rain


Comments