Why do we think Jesus stopped healing people?

"His perspective is love."

I HEALED THEM ALL. The words struck me in the chest and a string of verses that said what He’d just said. Matthew 12:15. Matthew 14;14. Matthew 15:30. Matthew 19:2. Luke 5:15. Luke 6:19. John 6:2. I heard the verses, not the references. Those, I’ve provided for you. There are many more. Lepers that cried out as He passed by. Blind men, who called His name. A synagogue leader who sought healing for His daughter and received her resurrection. A father filled with doubt who asked for healing for his tormented son. A centurion who had greater faith that all of Israel. A woman with an issue of blood. Lazarus, dead for four days. A widow’s only son raised to life at his funeral.

“I healed them all. I healed them all. I healed them all.”

Emotion in His voice, Truth filling my heart, there it was. We’ve got it all wrong. We’ve made Him hardhearted. He doesn’t speak sometimes, we say. He didn’t heal that friend of mine. He had His reasons. Many quote Job. I won’t quote Job. Job spoke from his heart, what he believed. It was wrong. He was wrong. And despite being wrong, he didn’t turn against God. He never blamed Him for the disaster his life had become. He did sink into depression.

God did finally speak to him.

God is forever speaking. He never refuses to speak to us. The issue isn’t God being silent. It’s us not hearing Him, and there are reasons why. But at the heart of it all, us not hearing, us blaming God, or even, us making Him unwilling, whatever our questions are regarding what we don’t understand, the issue is we lack His perspective. His perspective is love. Instead of seeking Him to see what He sees, we change His character from love to unwillingness. We need to humble ourselves, instead, and always approach God knowing we need new vision. Knowing that we are wrong.

God has not changed from Genesis to modern today. He wasn’t temperamental then, angry and full of wrath, then had a love burst and sent Jesus, but wait, He’s prepared to give judgment on anyone who isn’t His. The Jesus who spoke to me while I drove home from church overflowed with love for those multitudes of blind, sick, lame, and diseased. He healed everyone that came because the thought of leaving anyone unhealed broke His heart. Why is today different?

We don’t get the multitudes. In videos from Israel, where the Rebbes are in the synagogue, they are thronged by those men surrounding them. They can’t go two feet without the people pressing in. I raised my hand, when I first saw it, not that they could see me, and said to an empty room, “That’s just like Jesus!” Fascinating to see their behavior and it be cultural, of the Jews, and not simply as we’ve pictured it today.

Why do we think Jesus stopped healing people? Why do we allow our lack of knowledge to make Him inefficient? God’s hand is forever extended to heal the sick to the same extent He healed Jesus’ dead body. He longs to heal everyone who calls on Him, regardless of their trust in Him. The question isn’t, “Why did that one die?” It’s, “Why don’t I see like Jesus?” All I have shared with you is from my change of perspective. I swung my church-crafted sword at the enemy the church had erected and God said, “Rest.” I’ve learned to lay down my questions at Jesus’ feet. Because they are the heavy weight we carry.

Trust says, No matter what I think, God is working, and it will turn out peaceful. Healthy. Well.


----------
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
www.suzannedwilliams.com
www.feelgoodromance.com

Comments