Get Over It

"Jesus was surrounded by people with odd habits. No, seriously."

I must remember what not to say where. I shouldn't talk about EPISTLES with Helen, that will just get her going. And Sandra cannot pass up the opportunity to recount her hatred of LEFTSIDED BUSES. So I'll avoid mentioning cars or highways or gas stations. Now, let me get this all straight. Annmarie must not hear one word about HAMSTERS. Oh, she just cannot avoid spewing over then. And Gina loves, loves, loves REPETITIVE NOISES. Every time I go to her house she's TAPPING ON SOMETHING. So keep the hands still. Barbara dislikes DONKEYS. Don't we all. Snicker. Sam can't resist whining about GOVERNMENTS. Wait. Is that the same thing? And if I can just remember, there's Irma and the WEATHER.

My notepad's full. I'm tired of keeping up with who goes off on what. Who cares that CATS meow and DOGS bark and PEOPLE have habits and NEWS happens. Let's grow up and not have annoying habits that other people wish you'd stop. Even greater, let's overlook them in others and let that man or woman have a preference. So she's owned that KOI FISH for 3 generations of her family, and you wish she'd stop digging ponds. Big deal. I personally love she adores a fish.

Jesus was surrounded by people with odd habits. No, seriously. We focus on Peter ... okay, he was outspoken. He just SAID things. But Nathanael believed because Jesus saw him in a vision sitting beneath a FIG TREE. "Okay, He must be it." Then there's Simon who was a Zealot. I mean, he must have been avaricious about EVERYTHING. Then there were all those women. Insert Jesus grin. Shrug.

If I have to correct her one more time.

Well, you know how I am about this.

She just needs to ... to ... get a life!

Maybe you do. You heard me. Am I the only one who listens to my words? I feel like the prophet here. IS THERE ANYONE ELSE WHO WORSHIPS GOD IN ISRAEL? Or maybe that was the prophet Charlie Brown. And God answers. "Uhm ... 7,000?" Or maybe it was more booming. 7,000! The prophet was wrong. We are wrong. We are too sensitive, too critical, and it is the reason most of the time that we are unhappy.

Get over it. Listen to what you say. Take stock of what you think, and read God’s Word in order to repent, which is a turn around of thought and behavior, and to think and act differently. I always tell my t-shirt story. Sigh. (Bland voice.) I only wore v-necks and one day decided to get over my hatred of regular t-shirts so I bought as many as possible and just wore them until I got over it and now it's basically all I wear and no to all you who know me I'm never wearing a dress unless forced and or Jesus makes me. Inhale.

Maybe we should stop picking on people's clothing. People's hair. People's eating habits. Their pets. Their cars. Their sports teams. Their music. Their age. The list goes on. If you find the habit in you to harp on something, for God’s sake and your own, stop.

“Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” (Romans 12:21 BSB)

Image by Ronald Sandino from Pixabay


----------
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
www.suzannedwilliams.com
www.feelgoodromance.com

Comments