He Understands Me

"He never misunderstands me."

WHEN I WAS YOUNG, I used to say, “No man is perfect,” as an excuse to get away with what I’d done wrong. It’s been many years since I’ve given that any thought. My mother did put me in my place, at the time. But now, I’m world’s away from there, and I see the truth of my childish statement. I meant it as a child does, protecting themselves. Now, as an adult, having gone through darkness into the light, the truth of that stares me in the face.

Jesus is perfect. He never sinned. Never misspoke, never had a temper tantrum, although He did “sit down” the moneychangers. He never failed to hear His Father and to do His will. He never gave Satan a foothold (Ephesians 4:27). To some, it may look that way, but no, His life wasn’t taken from Him; He laid down His life. He was the perfect nature of God manifested in the flesh. Knowing He never makes a mistake gives me strength. It settles all the chaos in my heart. I can lean on Him. He’s reliable. He is the truth of the Father (John 14:6). He is the Word of God, which is truth (John 17:17). His Spirit, the Spirit of Christ, is truth and is never false.

“God’s Spirit is teaching you everything that you need to know. He always teaches the truth and never says anything that is false.” (1 John 2:27 UDB)

There is no confusion in Him. Confusion, strife, envy are the work of the enemy (James 3:16). Jesus never has to second guess what He will do. I heard a wonderful analogy by Minister Russell B. Johnson of The Pursuit NW. When talking about his young son, he said if he promised his son a trip to the park, his son’s joy and eagerness to go would cause him to leave ahead of time. This is God’s response to us. Because of our persistence, that we ask and ask and know He loves us, He will “move up” the answer to our prayer. He will do things “just because.” Never out of frustration with us or simply to prove a point. It is His love for us that motivates Him. And we can know God’s timing is perfect, His promises to us are faithful, His goodness is everlasting and of great mercy. Jesus is these things on display. He is the love of God.

The Remedy translation, in several verses, says Satan paints a false picture of Him. He causes misunderstanding of the character and nature of God. He brings deception in what men know about Jesus. And here’s the thing, God does not defend Himself. He defends you. But His image, what He’s done, and who He is, in the person of His Son, He laid on the altar as a sacrifice. He then raised Jesus from the dead and crowned Him King of Kings. Being without sin, He has no darkness in Him (1 John 1:5) and never needing any adjustment to the plan formed before the foundation of the world, He has never ever lied to any generation, to any man or spirit being about what He’s promised to do.

Men lie all the time. Jesus does not, and He never misunderstands us. He is the Word of God who knows the thoughts and intents of our hearts (Hebrews 4:12). He divides soul from spirit and joint from marrow. Psalm 139 says He knows what we’re about to say before we say it. This comforts me. I’ve grown to dislike verbal explanations. In writing, I’m comfortable. But speaking, I tend to clam up. We never have to worry about how to explain things to Him. He knows us inside and out. I’ve had His Spirit, the Holy Spirit, remind me of things in my life that I’d forgotten, conversations and the like. He understands me, so I trust Him completely. He is my Guide into the truth of God. He’s also my best friend. He’s never going to make a mistake with me, never going to “say the wrong thing.”

He loves me. He loves you. To such a great extent He’d give everything, including His life. Love like that is trustworthy. Faithful. We can believe in what He says and know that He will keep His word. Whatever we ask for, calling on Him, He will do. He left nothing out of salvation. It includes our health, our success, our peace of mind. He is our wisdom to make right choices and, even greater, to say the right thing. With Him, nothing is impossible. We need to remember this. Whatever He asks us to do, He will give us the strength and know-how to do it, no matter how crazy it seems. The Word of God is full of impossible stories that God did. Jesus fed the multitudes with a few loaves of bread and a couple fish. He filled the disciples’ nets until they were bursting. He walked on water and calmed the storm on the lake. It being impossible is kinda the point. That way, no man can take credit. Only God could do that.

READ “Something Only God Could Do.

Hebrews 11 is full of men and women who believed God would keep His Word. They saw Him as everlasting goodness. As reward. So it didn’t matter if, right now, they couldn’t see from Point A to Point Z, His Word to them guaranteed the entire plan would happen. That’s who He is. He likes to tell us the ending way before it happens. Jesus said He would rise again from the dead many times before He was crucified. He told His disciples He was the life of God, more than once. He showed them the power of God to heal and resurrect bodies and gifted them with His anointing to preach the goodness and lay hands on the sick. He promised them the wind at Pentecost before it happened. He both fulfilled prophecy and spoke prophecy, including John’s Revelation, which tells us His promise of the future. We need to fear it nor His abandoning us to survive in our daily lives today. He is Emmanuel, God with us.

We can’t separate Him from who He is and what He does, any more than you can make me not all the parts of my personality. For He knows me and loves me just like I am, and I say to Him the same. “Just be yourself.” I like Him that way.

“Therefore, my dear children, always reject lies about God and any false concept about the character of God.” (1 John 5:21, Remedy)

“There are many liars and deceivers in the world who deny that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, actually came to earth as a real human being—with real flesh and blood—just like us. Recognize them for what they are—deceivers and enemies of Christ. Be careful that you are not duped by them and lose what you have achieved, for I want you to receive your full reward.” (2 John 1:7-8, Remedy)

Photo by sarandy westfall on Unsplash


----------
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
www.suzannedwilliams.com
www.feelgoodromance.com

Comments