Wee! Wee! Wee! All the way home.

"I don't have to prove myself to the enemy."

I DON’T HAVE TO PROVE MYSELF to the enemy. I don’t have to explain why I am like I am, why I do things the way I do them, and I don’t have to feel any guilt over any of it. There is no condemnation in Jesus Christ. He died for me because He loved me. He saved me because the love of the Father is SO GREAT. He is merciful and kind and gentle. I don’t have to give the enemy one second of my day.

“Neither give place to the devil.” (Ephesians 4:27)

Which does not stop him from talking. He is full of damaging words. All those thoughts about not being good enough are a lie, not being able, also a lie. Being frustrated is a lie. God never seeks to frustrate us. He never brings confusion. He would rather say nothing than speak and leave us wondering which way we went. God is often the voice not speaking. All the chatter comes from the enemy. He’s continually refocusing his efforts to get a word in edgewise. Whereas our heavenly Father has no need to do this. When He speaks, we will know it. His voice is made clear by His Word. And through our relationship with Him. He is the silent presence which gives us peace.

The enemy is a baked bean in a can of green beans. He doesn’t fit. He likes to stick in those errant thoughts. You’re adding two-plus-two and he’s like, “Plus three.” Wait what? He’s the “Wait. What?” God’s teaching you about patience at home in your secret place, and though the enemy can be impatience and insert anxiety or nervousness, he also likes to be all, “Join the new study group,” and suddenly, you have no time to read what you were reading. You’re too busy doing what God did not tell you to do. He'll throw you a football in the middle of a baseball game, and you catch it, then he pours in the guilt because the game would have gone differently if not for what you did.

Apply the brakes. There are times we need to repent, but not for what the devil’s trying to guilt you with. You didn’t throw the football. You only came to an average baseball game. Or you wore the wrong pants to the party at Linda’s. They should’ve been blue. And your shoes don’t match. Just cut it. The devil’s the misfit, the background noise. He’s a thousand voices in the wrong place at the wrong time, a distraction, a side note. He’s the fourth note in a waltz and now we’re doing the slide.

There are those who won’t talk about the devil. But we must recognize him in order to avoid his deceptions. Just reading, “Resist the devil,” will not teach you what you’re resisting. The devil will flee at the name of Jesus but sometimes, only after he’s exhausted all his efforts. He tempted Jesus three times before he gave up “for a time.” Later, Jesus rebuked him when Peter spoke, saying Jesus should not go to go to the cross. The devil is persistent, but God is bigger. And the way we will know him and no longer fall into his dish is to know Jesus more. When we see the Good Shepherd, when we know what He’s said, what He’s done for us, when Jesus is our primary focus, then the devil sticks out like the proverbial sore thumb.

We are not to fear the devil. We are to be strong in the Lord. He gave us authority over all the ability (power) of the devil. Then He gave us the Holy Spirit as the ability (power) to cut him off. It was not a half work. The analogy of the police officer is often used. He has authority over things more powerful than him. But this is a police officer dressed like Superman. He has the authority and enough strength in the Spirit to stop things.

But there’s the key again. We recognize the devil’s voice by knowing the Spirit, by walking in the Spirit, which is Christianese for including the Holy Spirit in everything we do. Before I read the Word, I see if He has a direction for me, and if I get sidetracked by something on the next page, I turn back and keep going. Before I join the study group, I pray and ask if He wants me to do that. If I get in the car and sense not to drive down Sixth Street, I take the highway instead.

Don’t give time to the devil past, “Git.” And if you have to repeat it, say it louder. If he starts shouting, lean on God. Our part is faith. His part is victory. Be determined and the devil has to shut up. Faith and patience inherit the promises. That’s a sure thing. And the squeal you just heard nothing but the herd plunging down into the sea.

“And sure enough, he has delivered us from many deadly threats, and he will continue to deliver us. We have placed all our hope in him, and he will continue to provide for our needs and deliver us from danger.” (2 Corinthians 1:10 Remedy)


----------
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
www.suzannedwilliams.com
www.feelgoodromance.com

Comments