In The Father's Ears

"The truth is, only He who made the earth, He who redeemed it, is able to take those words of prayer and turn them into blessing."

GRAY CLOUDS sweep across the early morning sky, promising rain. Behind them, the sun rises, muted in its strength. It is my favorite time of day. Every morning, I rise to see the sky turn gold and the glory of the day begin. It has become a time of thought and meditation, to greet the Father, the Son, and the Spirit, who never sleep.

I live out of town a ways, between cowfields. I have chickens and horses as my neighbors and an assorted wildlife, crossing through. The birds: ibis, herons, egrets, and many other species, greet the sky with me, flying back and forth looking for a place to rest. It seems like they never land sometimes, entire flocks headed north into the distant horizon.

Our prayers never die. Even those prayed by those gone on to heaven continue to fly over us, and God hears them and honors the words spoken. Ours, too, spoken over those we haven't met or seen, go to where they are needed, although it may be half an earth away. But there are truths to prayer, which make them effective, and one which is often misused is where our prayers are directed.

I miss my grandparents a lot. It seems like they were here and then all were gone at once. I miss their voices, their wisdom spoken over me. I know their prayers are with me still. But when I pray today, although I think of them, they are not who hears me speak. I do not pray to Granny or Granddaddy and expect them to answer. I pray to the Father in Jesus' name. This is how the Word of God directs us.

This may seem strange for me to point out, but the Scriptures tell us that many are praying to deaf and dumb idols. Many pray to temples, to statues, and not to the only living God, and the truth is, despite being sincere in their efforts, only He who made the earth, He who redeemed it is able to take those words and turn them into blessing.

We in the Christian church know to pray to God, and we do so frequently. He has given us faith in His love to believe for the answer, and we do believe. But habits have formed where at home or on our way to work, we speak out our hearts to those who have gone on. God comforts the grieving. He wants our hearts healed from sorrow. And He hears every word we speak regardless. But those prayers floating upward, flying back and forth in the heavens, only have one place to land and be effective, and that is in His ears.

He delights to answer. He longs to hear our voices, in childlike surrender giving Him our petitions. We pray to Him and what has been searching for solution, finds one in His wisdom.

The sun always rises eventually. Even on rainy days, it will grow brighter than the night. I know when I am seated on the front porch gazing eastward, that time will continue faithful as God set it in motion. And I know when I pray to my loving heavenly Father, that He is faithful to my petitions and supplications, and I can rest in the knowing He heard them and will answer. Rest with peace beyond my understanding because prayer changes things, always, and for this, for Him I am most thankful.

“At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you: For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.” (John 16:26-27)


----------
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
www.suzannedwilliams.com
www.feelgoodromance.com

Comments