The Point

"Jesus never rejects anyone based on their appearance. Not for any reason. He never rejects anyone because of their sins. That defeats the point."

ONLY THE WORD OF GOD knows the thoughts and intents of the heart. Only a man's own spirit truly knows everything about him. In other words, I know me, and God knows me. (And He knows me better than I know myself. I take comfort in this because frequently, I need His advice.) But as for everyone else, even my closest family members, as well as I know them, there are times that I misjudge. Perhaps, their voice sounded wrong in my ears. So I jumped to a conclusion. Perhaps, it was on my end, and I didn't sleep well. We let weariness and frustration cloud our view.

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again." (Matthew 7:1-2)

The word "judge" implies condemnation and censure. When we cast judgment, we place ourselves in a position God has not given us. We take on ourselves another man's future, based solely on our opinion. And opinions are flawed. God speaks truth. He makes righteous judgments, and He prefers mercy and forgiveness.

"Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment." (John 7:24)
"Let not your decisions be based on what you see, but on righteousness." (BBE)

We judge by appearance. I heard a story of a young girl in a mental ward who was visited by a minister of the gospel. He laid hands on her and set her free then found out she was there because she'd shown up at a local church wearing what they felt was inappropriate clothing. She’d cut her hair and painted her fingernails. When the church kicked her out for looking "like that", condemnation had moved in, and she'd been unable to overcome it.

Jesus never rejects anyone based on their appearance. Not for any reason. He never rejects anyone because of their sins. That defeats the point. He is gentle and kind, overflowing with love.

I feel judgment in me sometimes over other people's behavior and have to stop myself and apologize to Him. Not as often as I used to. I've experienced the love of God on a scale that changed me. It is truly as wide as the heavens and deeper than the sea. But still, when it happens, it is usually because I would never SAY THAT or DO IT LIKE THEY DID.

The apostle Paul got onto the church for judging another man's servant, for judging the way someone eats, or when they celebrate holy days. For judging another man's liberty. When it comes to someone else's choices, if we disagree, first, we must pray for them, then we walk in the Spirit as to what time we spend with them. And it’s okay if we must walk away. But we do so, without casting judgment.

We are to judge what we hear, whether in the pulpit or some other forum, but not the one speaking. We should feel compassion for all men and ask God to give them the wisdom and revelation they need for their office or position. We should ask Him to do the same for us. It could be we are the ones who are wrong. It is so important to have a willing heart to change and a tender heart toward others. Only then will we truly look like Christ. And looking is more than skin deep. The Pharisees dressed well but omitted having love for the people. Their hearts were ugly, although their appearance was wealthy.

What drew men to Jesus was the anointing upon Him from the Father, whose love displayed itself to the sick and infirm, those diseased, those tormented, without once telling them to "fix something" of themselves and come back later. Nor did He ever say no where there was need. The only thing that kept people from being healed was when they judged Him as not being the Messiah and chose to be offended. Offense is a choice, and a dangerous one. We can know right from wrong and refuse to be offended.

We are to bless others and never to curse them. Cursing someone should be completely foreign to us and loving them as natural as breathing. It should stop being a struggle because Jesus is so big in us, and we are so full of the Holy Spirit that our reactions are His. When we stop fighting the love of people, we will truly be the children of God. When we seek the good of others over our opinions, we have matured. And our heavenly Father is immensely pleased with us.


----------
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
www.suzannedwilliams.com
www.feelgoodromance.com

Comments