The God I Know

"The more time we spend together, the closer we become until I know what He's saying without Him having to speak at all."

There’s when you know something and when you KNOW something. For instance, you can know grass is green, but having never seen the color green, you can really only guess at it. I always get tears in my eyes when I watch a video where someone who is color blind puts on corrective glasses. Suddenly all the things that have been described to them are real. To use an overused word — colors pop. Green is vivid and blue is magnetic. Reds and yellows take their breath away. Suddenly, they KNOW what the world looks like.

We can say the same about our knowledge of the Word of God. We read things. We quote them. But we don’t KNOW them. We have facts and data about God, about Jesus’ life, death, and Resurrection. We have passing knowledge of the Old Testament. But we have no revelation. I’ve learned to ask questions when I read and many of them are the opposite of what’s being read. What I call negative space. This is a graphic designer term. To properly set the design you are working on, you look at the empty area and not just the object placement. You have a white area and clipart of balloons. Where do you place the balloons, on the left or the right? And if you include text then where in relation to the text? Will it be too crowded and the negative space too scarce? Or is that the point?

Applying this to meditation in the Word of God, I read what’s been laid on my heart and I read it and I read it, continual meditation turns the light on, and I ask not only “why did Jesus say that?” But “why didn’t He say something else?” This often leads me forward into understanding.

But the truth is, understanding comes when the Holy Spirit is mixed into my time in the Word. He wrote it. He will reveal it. And my asking matters to Him. We expect God to speak on His own. Kind of, “Well, if I need to know He’ll tell me.” When He wants to see our love for Him show up as hunger. He wants to spend a little Father-daughter time, hearing my voice, seeing my face when that understanding comes, and the more time we spend together, the closer we become until I know what He’s saying without Him having to speak at all.

I feel Him smile. I sense His hand resting on mine. And at that moment when I finally KNOW something He’s been wanting me to see, when my excitement spills out in praises because that’s the most amazing thing I’ve ever learned, I hear His laughter. God is on the throne, but God is in my heart. He’s right here, every minute of every day. He’s the sweetest, kindest, most gentle Father who, in fact, gave everything for me, so I could have this one-on-one time. So I could come boldly before the throne. Not in a crass, “This is what I want!”

But instead, “Good morning, Papa. I love you.”
And hear Him reply, “Good morning, daughter, I love you, too.”

“And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.” (1 John 5:15)

“That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;” (Philippians 3:10)

“That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:” (Ephesians 1:17)


----------
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
www.suzannedwilliams.com
www.feelgoodromance.com

Comments