God First


When I was young, I discovered that what I thought about before bedtime would stick with me all night. I'd watched a particularly awful scifi movie that gave me nightmares for days afterward. I refused to watch certain things after dark, following that.

This behavior expanded over the years. I stopped listening to some types of music because I couldn't stop singing it. I stopped reading certain books because they influenced my behavior. Recently, I stopped watching TV. I watch almost no TV at all now, and I never watch the news or read the news or like for others to tell me the news. What the news says makes no difference to me when I know what God has said.

Music, television, social networks, all muddy my spiritual vision. If I want to HEAR GOD regularly, then I must MAKE GOD FIRST PRIORITY. The less I take in from the OUTSIDE, the more sensitive I am to God's Voice INSIDE.

I learned to write devotionals by asking God what He wanted to write. Contrary to what you might think, I cannot write anything at all without the Holy Spirit's inspiration. Many times, I've had great ideas but no idea how to put them into the right order. Done under my own power, they make no sense at all.

"But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding." (Job 32:8)

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:" (2 Timothy 3:16)

When God inspires me, however, what I write, because it comes from Him, says things I am not capable of even thinking up. Often, it doesn't all come at once, though. I hear a few sentences, but not until I write them down, do I hear more.

We must take the first step before God gives us the second one.

Sometimes, I forget portions of what He's said, especially if it's at 2 a.m. I am human. But He knows what He's said, and if I forget it, He will remind me. This was Jesus' promise. I find it confirming. The fact He brings it back to me means it was Him speaking and did not come from me.

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." (John 14:26)

I also "sit on" what I hear. If the Holy Spirit speaks it, it will not leave me alone but replays constantly. This is another way to BE SURE it is not from my thoughts or feelings about a matter. There are also moments of confirmation where someone else, or several people sometimes, will say the same thing God spoke. Most of these confirmations I tell no one. They are only for me.

But at their heart is my desire for every word to be GOD'S and not mine. I gave up caring about man's opinions long ago when writing fiction. You would be amazed (or horrified) what people in the church will say about a book they did not like. I no longer need people's affirmation if I have GOD'S.

Here is my faith, in His Word alone. Because what He speaks will never return void but will accomplish that which He sends it to do whether I was the one to release or someone else. (Is 55:11) We are not in competition but in unity. We both seek God's heart, His message, above all else, and He gets the glory for the great things He has done.

Image by Free-Photos from Pixabay

----------
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
www.feelgoodromance.com
www.suzannedwilliams.com


Comments