All Things

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. (Php 4:13)

We expect everything in our lives of faith to be dramatic. We’re on a constant uphill struggle, an endless battle, slashing at the enemy on every side. We must cross rivers and climb mountains, our lives in constant peril.





There’s some truth to that imagery, of course. But our days are full of much smaller moments, everyday decisions that require wisdom and understanding to perform. Look back at Philippians 4:13 again – I can do ALL THINGS. That includes seemingly silly tasks as well.

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.  (John 14:26)

We’re afraid to pray for those. But I can do all things because the Holy Spirit shall teach me all things. That’s profound . . . and comforting. When some new responsibility falls on my desk, even if I feel like I’m not smart enough, I know the One who is. This could be as simple as doing your taxes. Or maybe your teenage son or daughter needs help finding “x” on their algebra assignment. Maybe you promised to take a friend somewhere you aren’t sure you can find, GPS or not. Those are also “all things”.

And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work (2Co 9:8)

God cares about every part of our lives, no matter how trivial they may seem. He wants us to “abound” when we bake a cake for our mom’s birthday, when we call the cable company to straighten out our bill, when we take our car to be serviced and need to choose the right auto repair shop.

Sometimes it’s the small things that cripple us the most. We don our armor to fight giants, but take it off when it’s Uncle John asking for help to clear trees. Or to locate a baby gift for our cousin’s wife, who we don’t particularly get along with. Or the refrigerator needs replacing, but we have no idea what to buy.

I want to be sufficient in those tasks, too.

I’ve found, in my life, personally, that my need to shift responsibility onto others – a “you do it for me” attitude – never works out. Any time I think I can get him or her to take care of it, it’ll fall even harder on my shoulders, and those moments are when I pray, “I can do this through Christ.” I need supernatural strength to walk the dog some days, especially when it’s cold and windy and she’s decided to play.

I can do all things and have patience. I can do all things and understand how to fill out this form. I can do all things and find a perfect vacation rental within my budget. I can do all things and select the right doctor, hair salon, or lawn company.

All things includes all things.

And the Lord give thee understanding in all things. (2Ti 1:7)

Does a God who knows our soul, who saw us when we were made in secret, a God of such infinite detail to create the smallest part of us, abandon us when we need to change a flat tire? He’s only here for me when I’m slugging it out in some spiritual battle, but not when I’ve had an argument with my spouse? (Ps 139:14-16)

No, that’s when I need understanding the most. I know God is for me; therefore, who can be against me? Always. For everything. Even if today it’s as small as calling the electric company. God is with me for that, too.

What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? (Rm 8:31-32)

-----------------------

Suzanne D. Williams
Florida, USA

Comments